The abertis foundation established its collaboration commitment with the Gran Teatre del Liceu Foundation, an institution founded in 1847 on the Rambla in Barcelona. Over the years, this theatre has maintained its role as a cultural and artistic centre, and is one of the symbols of the city of Barcelona. The theatre hall, which was destroyed by a fire in 1994 and reconstructed faithfully, holds 2,992 spectators. The mean occupancy for any of the shows staged therein is 85%, resulting in a total attendance for 2010 of 292,406 spectators. The theatre is currently under the public ownership of the Government of Catalonia, Barcelona City Council, Barcelona Provincial Council and the Ministry of Culture.